In this Character Dive we are taking a look at Elizabeth. Elizabeth's story is found in Luke 1, woven into the story of Mary and Jesus. Setting the stage for the Messiah.
- Elizabeth was advanced in years and unable to bear children.
- Her and her husband were found righteous in the eyes of the Lord, Zechariah was serving as priest
- She was obedient to the commandments of God and He was faithful to her, giving her a son
- Her son was foretold by Gabriel to be a prophet and man of God who would turn hearts of Israel
- She was a relative of Mary the mother of Jesus and they spent many months pregnant together, believing on the promises of the Lord for their children
- She was filled with the Holy Spirit from experiencing the presence of Jesus while he was still in Mary’s womb
- She named her son John despite the family lineage, he should have been named after his father Zechariah
- She lived an amazing testimony because she was strong in her faith, she trusted in the Lord and lived to see the fruit of her faith
- She played an important part in preparing the way for the Messiah
- She not only had to be faithful in becoming a mother but she had to guide her son in holiness to the Lord, abstaining from alcohol and living in the wilderness.
- Her path was not easy, much of it required hiding and protecting her family from the public eye
- Her calling was so unique but she remained focused on God
Your story might be unexpected too but God can still use you! I pray this encourages you today